Point Based visas
Skilled Regional (provisional) visa (subclass 489)
For family members who are included in your visa application (in either visa pathways), they must be a family member of someone who already holds this visa (subclass 489) or a provisional visa in subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496.
- The Skilled-Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) is for skilled workers and their families to live, work and study in specified regional areas in Australia for four years.
- There are two pathways for this visa:
A. the Invited Pathway
B. the Extended Stay Pathway – you must hold a provisional visa in subclass 475, 487, 495 or 496.
- Who could get this visa?
You might be eligible to apply for this visa if invited and you are either:
When we sent your letter of invitation, you must also have:
- Nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency, or
- Sponsored by an eligible relative living in a Designated area of Australia.
- Been nominated by an Australian State or Territory government agency or sponsored by an eligible relative living in a designated area
- Nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
- A suitable skills assessment for that occupation,
- Not yet turned 50 years of age
- Achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test
- At least competent English