Business sponsored visas
Regional Sponsor Migration Scheme (subclass 187)
- Subclass 187 is for skilled workers who want to work in regional Australia. This visa involves a two-step process, firstly, nomination by an approved Australian employer and then an application under the nominated stream.
The visa is a permanent resident visa. You can be in or outside Australia when you apply. If you are in Australia, you must hold a substantive visa or a bridging visa A, B or C.
The visa has three streams:
The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for two years, while holding a subclass 457 visa, in the same occupation with their nominating employer (who has lodged a valid nomination with us under the Temporary Residence Transition stream), who wants to offer them a permanent position in that occupation.
The Direct Entry stream is for
People who have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream people who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia
The Agreement stream is for people nominated by an employer through a labour agreement.
- Who could get this visa?
- 1. Direct Entry stream
- You might be able to get this visa under the Direct Entry stream if one of the following applies to you:
- Have been nominated for a position under this stream and that nomination has been approved
- Have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia
- Have at least competent English (unless you are exempt from this requirement)
- Meet the requirements for health and character.
- Meet the skills requirements, unless you are exempt.
The skills requirements are:
if your occupation is listed on the relevant legislative instrument, and you have not obtained a necessary Australian qualification suitable to your occupation, then you must obtain a valid skills assessment prior to your application.
if your occupation is listed on the relevant legislative instrument, and you have obtained the necessary Australian qualification relevant to your occupation as listed in ANZSCO, then you must provide this as evidence towards meeting the skills requirement.
if your occupation is not on the relevant legislative instrument, you must demonstrate that you have the qualifications listed in ANZSCO as necessary to perform the tasks of your occupation.
- 2. Temporary Residence Transition stream
- You might be able to get this visa under the Temporary Residence Transition stream if you:
- Are the holder of a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)
- Have at least vocational English (unless you are exempt from this requirement) or have completed at least five
years of full time study in a secondary and/or higher education institution where all of the tuition was delivered in English
- Have worked for two years in the position your employer nominated you for while you held subclass 457 visa
- Have been nominated for a permanent position under this stream and the nomination has been approved
you meet the requirements for health and character.
- 3. Agreement stream
- You might be able to get this visa under the Agreement stream if you are being sponsored by an employer through a tailored and negotiated labour agreement. Your employer can advise if such an agreement is in place for your industry or occupation. ou must meet the age, skills and English language requirements stated in the agreement.