Business sponsored visas
Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)
- Subclass 186 is for skilled workers who want to work in Australia. This visa involves a two-step process, firstly, nomination by an approved Australian employer and then an application under the nominated stream.
This visa is a permanent residence visa. You can be in or outside Australia when you apply. If you are in Australia, you must hold a substantive visa or a bridging visa A, B or C.
The visa has three streams:
The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for two years, while holding a subclass 457 visa, in the same occupation with their nominating employer (who has lodged a valid nomination with us under the Temporary Residence Transition stream), who wants to offer them a permanent position in that occupation.
The Direct Entry stream is for
The Agreement stream is for people sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement.
- people who have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream
- people who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia, or
- temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream
- Who could get this visa?
- 1. Temporary Residence Transition stream
- You might be able to get this visa under the Temporary Residence Transition stream if you:
- hold a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)
- have at least vocational English (unless you are exempt from this requirement)
- worked for two years in the same position your employer nominated you for while you held your subclass 457 visa
as the primary visa holder, your employer has nominated you for a permanent position under this stream, and the
nomination has been approved.
- 2. Direct Entry stream
- You might be able to get this visa under the Direct Entry stream if one of the following apply:
At time of application lodgement, you must have:
- Have been nominated for a position under this stream and that nomination has been approved
- Have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia
- have at least competent English (unless you are exempt from this requirement)
- have at least three years of relevant work experience
- have a positive valid skills assessment in your nominated occupation
- 3. Agreement stream
- You might be able to get this visa under the Agreement stream if you are being sponsored by an employer through
a labour agreement. Your employer can advise you if such an agreement is in place for your industry or
occupation. You must meet the age, skills and English language requirements stated in the agreement.