Other visas

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)

The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) lets you live, study and work in Australia temporarily after you have finished your studies. Students are only able to access the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) once as a primary applicant.

This visa has two streams:
A. Graduate Work stream – for international students with an eligible qualification whograduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on theSkilled Occupation List (SOL). A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.

B. Post-Study Work stream – for international students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study. This stream is only available to students who applied for, and were granted, their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is granted, depending on the visa applicant's qualification.
If you are applying as the main applicant, you and anybody else covered by the application must be in Australia when you apply for this visa and when your visa is decided. Family members who apply for this visa after the main applicant has been granted the visa may be in or outside Australia when they apply, but must not be in immigration clearance.
Who could get this visa?
  • Must be younger than 50 years of age
  • Must hold an eligible ​visa
  • Must have English language requirement
  • Must meet the Australian study requirement in the last six months
  • Must meet health and character requirements.
  • Must have health insurance in Australia
  • Must meet the specific requirements of the stream in which you are applying for this visa. (see the below)
A. Graduate Work stream
  • Nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List
  • Had applied for a skills assessment for your nominated skilled occupation by a relevant assessing authority
  • Have met the two-year Australian study requirement in the past six months
  • Each degree, diploma or trade qualification used to meet the Australian study requirement is closely related to nominated skilled occupation.
Post-Study Work stream
  • Applied for, and were granted, your first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011
  • Hold an eligible qualification
  • The qualification was conferred or awarded by an Australian university or non-university education provider that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Courses and Institutions for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and that provider offers courses at degree level and above
  • The study for the qualification(s) satisfied the Australian study requirement in the past six months.