Family relation visas

Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143)

This Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) lets parents live permanently in Australia if they have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.
Most applicants need to be sponsored by their child. Your sponsor needs to have lived lawfully in Australia for the two years before the application is lodged. You can lodge an application for this visa in or outside Australia. If you are in Australia, you can apply only if your temporary visa allows you to apply for another visa while you are in Australia.
Who could get this visa?
You might be able to get a permanent Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 143) if you either:
  • Hold a temporary Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)
  • Have a child who is:
    • an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen
    • lawfully resident in Australia for about two years (a shorter period can be considered for Australian citizens if there are compelling and compassionate circumstances)
  • Meet the balance-of-family test
  • Have an accepted assurance of support
  • Meet health and character requirements.
Your sponsor
  • The applicant must be sponsored by an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
  • The sponsor needs to have been living lawfully in Australia for at least two years before you apply for this visa. For most applicants, your child or your child's spouse or de facto partner will need to sponsor you.
  • If your child is younger than 18 years of age you can be sponsored by:
    • Your child's spouse, if the spouse has turned 18 and is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
    • A relative or guardian of your child
    • A relative or guardian of your child's spouse, if the spouse has not turned 18 and is a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
    • A community organisation.